Commencing 2016, the Elder Conservatorium will give students the opportunity to undertake a Music Internship. Internships will be offered at Levels 1, 2 & 3 and are available from Semester two.
- What is it?
The major focus of the Music Internship is to complete a specifically tailored project relevant to your studies and career aspirations and to the chosen host organisation. The project should be conceived and planned by you in conjunction with the host organisation and the Conservatorium’s Internship Co-Ordinator Dr. Emily Dollman.
The project may be practical or performance related in nature, or may be more research focussed. The outcomes will also be tailored to reflect the nature of the project/activity and the needs of the host organisation. Research based projects typically result in a research report of approximately 7,000 words or equivalent. You will be required to deliver an overview to your supervisors and peers via an oral presentation. The host organisation may use the report or other in any way they see fit.
- How do I Apply?
To apply for the Music Internship:
- please ensure you read and understand the Music Internship Student Agreement, particularly the Student's Responsibilities section
- download and complete the Application Form. Please submit the application form by 29 April.
- you will then be contacted by the Music Internships Coordinator to discuss your application
Students are selected on merit. Whilst there are no guarantees for a placement every effort is made to maximise the student's opportunities. The process of placing students with Industry Partners is extremely competitive, so students are encouraged to have a 'back-up' plan in the event they are unsuccessful in gaining a placement.
- Host Organisations
In your application you should nominate a project and organisation. The following list of local arts, education and performing organisations are examples of institutions you might consider.
- Elder Hall - Program Notes Writing
- State Opera (please note, the SOSA Internship for Voice students is a separate Internship)
- Adelaide Symphony Orchestra (the Internship would not involve playing)
- Police Band (the Internship would not involve playing)
- Army Band
- Adelaide Festival
- Arts SA
- Musica Viva
- Carclew Youth Arts Centre
- Helpmann Academy
- Elder Conservatorium of Music
- Special interest Music Centres
- Selected State Government & Independent Schools